Space Waif, Astropolis Tweekies and UV Resin Bases

From two seperate but equally sci-fi Kickstarters (Colony 87 thrid wave and Astropolis second wave) we've got some cute lil' figures on 20mm bases. These sci-fi grating bases were made with a quick press mold of a larger base to get the textures to make these tiny 20mm bases look better than some free-hand details would look.Then the toppers were hardened with my newly arrived Chinese brand UV cure resin. Sci-fi minis meet sci-fact technology...

 
Above is the first successful cast of the detail I wanted to use for the Space Waif's base. Since the original was so much larger than the tiny 20mm base. So I carefully trimmed off the excess overhang.

Below is the nameless Chinese-made UV resin (I believe this stuff is meant mainly for jewelry making). there's also the heft little powerful Craftsman UV flashlight I picked up at Lowe's. The tiny single LED ligt that came with the pen applicator of UV resin I first tried out was simply not touching the Chinese resin so I opted for the more powerful Craftsman light which works well with the larger amounts of resin.
 

 
Through trial and error I figured out that even though the UV light cures the resin pretty quickly (a couple minutes at the most) it should sit for about an hour or so before trying to glue it onto an MDF base. I've had the best results on MDF bases with white craft glue rather than any superglues, but there are other options I want to try. Onve the scenic bit is glued and and the glue has totsally dried it's easy to drill a hole into the base to pin the figure on with some superglue.













For a little scale comparison we've got the Hasslefree not-Starfleet ladies and various high tech crates. The Hasslefree figures are all on 25mm bases from the Sedition Wars box.

Comments

Popular Posts