NuHu Mandarin and UV Resin

From Beyond the Gates of Antares (by Warlord Games), this is a NuHu from one of the factions that I really liked the looks of for a Navigator. Oh- and he has a high-tech effect on his little device thingy...
I've been calling Ziggy or Space Oddity because he kinda loos like David Bowie a little. Plus he's wearing the latest high fashion armor from the Inner Core.
He's got a device that has information about cosmic storms and the like.
This device makes use of an aetherplasma display the highest high tech of spacefaring tech on the open market.

It's actually made of some Ultraviolet Resin. I picked this little pen resin dispenser from Menard's for under 5 bucks after seeing a video about UV-curing resin on the Black Magic Craft YouTube channel. I wanted to see what the stuff could do- and I was impressed.
I first used it to fill some gaps in some slotta bases- it was way easier than getting out the putty I usually use. I filled some gaps between arms and bodies on some plastic multi-part minis- it was so quick and easy, ready to paint right away.

Then I tried to do a textured base copy of a base from the Sedition Wars box (I'm running really low on these and I love the look of several of the designs). The one on the left below is the quick copy I made. It didn't fill in completely because I was in a rush and just wanted to see if it was possible. I think the results are pretty good and show it is possible. Finally came Ziggy with his device that was just a big hole- so I filled it with some of this and it looks like some super high-tech thing. The paint around the edges of the inside reflects out in certain light so it looks like an internal glow.

But back to the figure of Ziggy, itself. He's really tall but in 28mm scale. So I took some pics of him next to some other random 28mm scale minis I've painted. Above we have the Hasslefree Space Girl and a Void 1.1 VASA Marine. Below we have the Governor from Colony 87 and a Victoria Miniatures Convict Trooper.

Next up we have Ziggy with a Dalek from Fantasy Fligth Games and a Wargames Factory Shocktrooper. Finally we have Ziggy hanging out with the Founders from Effigy Miniatures.

Comments

Popular Posts