Deunan and Briareos

 

I used to collect comic books, lots of comic books. One of the few series that I still have every issue of is Masamune Shirow's Appleseed because I just really love it. The cyborg baddies still subliminally provide me with conversion ideas. A little over a year ago, I stumbled across some 3d printed miniatures of not-Deunan and not-Briareos on Etsy. I couldn't resist. 

The figures are based on how Deunan and Briareos looked in the most recent animated attempt (Appleseed Alpha). More realistic than in the comics and very nice prints. I based them on a couple of Necromunda bases and started to paint them but couldn't decide on how close to their movie look I wanted to go. In an attempt to finish off most of my unpainted 3d printed stuff before a new batch arrives, I went back to them and just chose whatever colors struck me as I was painting. 


Deunan's hair got a little fancy with the pinkish-purple because I thought it looked cool. During painting, she fell attached to the painting handle but only came off the base with no damage. I tried to do her face but just couldn't get it to look like I wanted, so I went with face paint that came out okay. 



Briareos was inspired more by the Art Adams covers than by the more metallic versions in some of the CGI movies. 


Here we've got the pair with our usual size comparison suspects- Victoria Miniatures Highlander, GW Primaris Marine, and Raging Heroes Jailbird.


Above we have the pair with some cyborgs- on the left and right are from the 3D sculptor Papsikles and the middle one is from the MERCs Recon Kickstarter.  Below we have some Antares figures because I think they might work well as Freeborn. In fact, when I got the Boromite and female Freeborn miniatures (on the far left and right below) my thought when painting them was how much they reminded me of Deunan and Bri.

Comments

Popular Posts