Fishing28- Initial Progress

 

I have become somewhat obsessed with this idea of 28mm grimdark fishing set forth by @apocrypha_now over on Instagram (link to a pdf of the rules he created for it). So here's what has been assembled and painted so far for this new adventure. 


Here's the board (the rules state it should be 2'x2' but this thing ended up at 22"x26" which should work fine) for fishing on. It started life as a strong foamboard sign. Sadly it wasn't strong enough to survive a recent move without losing a corner. So I sliced off that whole side to get a straight edge. I think the color for the water board looks good. I'm not sure if I should put some protective topcoat on it or not.

The first thing I did was make a couple of boats because I had wanted some little boats for some time and I needed something different to focus on for a bit.

The first boat was a simple repurpose of a dessert lid. I glued in some lengths of coffee stirrers. The sides got pontoons made from a colored marker and the bar at the back is from a scale model parking lot kit. He techy package at the front is from a plastic miniature of some kind. This boat is based on a 60mm round base that is totally covered by the boat. Since there's no room for water effects on the base I realized this boat could do double duty as a landspeeder. 

The second boat started life as the squirter on a Febreze bottle. The roof came from a disinfectant wipes tub and the rest is plastic bits and foam-cork offcuts. It's based on a 50mm base and I really like the look of it. 


I then turned to fishermen minis. I've gotten Victoria Miniatures' Scrapper specials a few times. This is when they offer some of their minis that didn't quite turn out perfectly. I've used the large amount of bits for some other conversions in the past and that's where I started looking first.

First up came Alyss, a fisherwoman with a cyber arm (it was miscast in such a way that I left the big gap because it looked like a cyber arm). I don't really like kneeling poses but I also didn't want to fully convert a standing mini to be seated (yet) so these kneeling female trooper legs seemed like a good starting point. Her fishing pole came from a GW plastic standard bearer but it really looked like a fishing pole- just needed a slight bend at the tip.




And then came Chulha, a Cthood guy fishing with just a line, because he's a squid-head guy and that just seemed appropriate. The line was just some thin floral wire that was quite a chore to get shaped just right.


There are fish and other aquatic creatures underway and I've got a couple ideas for more boats and other nautical related conversions and trash bashing expansions. I think they might fit well on the fringes of the Tech Bazaar and other sci-fi settings.

Comments

Popular Posts