Minismith Roulette Round 1- Eldar Fire Dragons

 

I decided to add another figure to the 2 Fire Dragons chosen in the first round of Minismith Roulette. There was a female conversion into an Exarch with a fancy (at the time) firepike sort of kitbashed weapon. More on that below...

Here are the two figures from the Roulette Box. I was trying out a different background for pictures but it doesn't work as well as I had hoped.


This original guy got some touch ups and more vibrant colors along with his fancy Craftworld-like base. Most of these Eldar themed bases from the CMON/Micro Art Studios plastic fancy base Kickstarter are really not designed for olde-style minis with more static poses. Although I like how they are both standing precariously on the edges (kinda like Legolas in the Hobbit and LOTR movies) it plays into the spce elves vibe I like.


This second guy nicely turned out to match the basic Fire Dragon color scheme of the original guy from way back when (20 years ago?!?!?) but I'm not sure if I'm going to paint up a full squad of them even though I do have a handful in a box. Any gaming these guys will see would likely be more skirmish style, so they shoudl be enough for that.

I love the old metal Guardians with plastic arms- especially this female body with that wonderfully sculpted hair. I don't know how many variations of her I've painted, but I'd love to do more. In the late 90s I did this conversion to have a cool female Exarch for what had been planned as a whole squad of Fire Dragons. I think I used a length of sprue to extend the barrel of the flamer and then wrapped some air-dry clay tubes around it. 

I probably hardened the tubes with a mix of super glue and white glue. While rebasing her I was sure to be extra careful because I don't know what would happen to those tubes if they face any trauma. Her original fire emblazoned armor panels were really faint but I was able to carefully use some more vibrant colors to help show the awesomeness of that freehand flame technique.

For her base (I didn't realize she had a name painted on the back of the original base, I should check the other olde Eldar) I went with one of the large 30mm-ish ones to help protect her firepike and because she's supposed to be a big fancy Exarch. Since I'm not planning on using her in any games with people who would take offense at unofficial basing sizes I don't see a problem with it.

Finally, here are the Fire Dragons with the recently rebased and touched up Eldar hero- he is not meant to have a Fire Dragon scheme, just fancy red armor for some long-forgotten fluff reasons. This gives another idea of the poor choice that other background was for taking pictures of miniatures.


The next round of Minismith Roulette has already been rolled for and the mini(s) chosen, so watch out for that post in a day or so.

Comments

Popular Posts