Dalek Outlaw KX2608

One of the pleasant surprises at GenCon this year was the Gale Force Nine booth and their Doctor Who miniatures. They have a boardgame with miniatures called Time of the Daleks and there are some nice resin minis for it. They're not quite 28mm scale (which is what most of my minis are) but when I saw the pack of Daleks I just had to grab one (now I'm thinking I should've grabbed 2!).
They come with sad little integrated bases (as seen on the left) so I carefully went about hacking off this horrible thing so that I could fit the test Dalek on a 30mm laser-cut mdf base (I think I got a Chinese food container full of those bases at the GF9 booth at a past GenCon). BELOW we can see how the rebased Dalek looks much better compared to the Heresy Miniatures Nerdlord (aka- not-the-11th Doctor) who is on a scenic 25mm base. On the far right we can see the pitiful height of the integrated base figure. Pitiful.
This first one was painted in a non-canon paint scheme (I think) with some colors that I thought would look pretty good. It was a bit of a chore to do all of the little balles on the skirt, but I've learned a valuable lesson from this test Dalek.
Instead of painting them all up in the same colors, I've decided to paint them all in unique colors and call them Renegades. This Renegade has been designated KX2608 and he's ready to exterminate...

Some comparison pictures with other minis. ABOVE we have the impressive KX2608 with my attempts at Dalek stand-ins the D1Ks. They look pretty lame next to the real thing. BELOW we have a comparison with my not-Cybermen, the more interesting-looking Biotronics.
Finally, BELOW, we have KX2608 squaring off against the War Doctor and the Nerdlord (both from Heresy minis).
There are a handful more of these Dalek Renegades to come. I'm cleaning up 2 more right now to base and paint.

Comments

Popular Posts