Blast From the Past

Because of Roebeast's Trash Bash 2011 I've dug out these two Rogue Trader-era grav-attack vehicles to use for parts and inspiration.

This first one is THE first real scratchbuilding miniatures project of mine. I had no real idea what I was doing, but it was the coolest thing ever.

The 'base' is made of 2 plastic water bottle lids (I don't think they make that kind of bottled water anymore!). The main cannon has come loose and is made from a mechanical pencil refill tube and a removable pen or pencil clip. The wings and exhaust intakes are from a cheapo plastic model kit. The nose gun is from a Transformers knockoff toy and the techy bit on the back top is from a Zoids-type toy.

The paint scheme was very simple because i wasn't a very good painter at the time- my technique was to put paint on the brush and stay in the lines...

This second one was built soon after the first because the first one was so fun to do.

The base for this one is simply a bottlecap from a 2-liter pop. The wings and underbelly "pontoons" are from another cheapo model airplane kit. The main canon is from that same not-Transformer. The nose gun is a slightly modified GI Joe vehicle weapon. The antenna/sensor wing thingy is simply a tine from a plastic spork- it has amazingly stayed in place for an amazing number of years.

The paint scheme for this one matches the first one because they were meant to be used in tandem for either some Space Marines or Eldar (whichever army needed a vehicle for a battle).

It's a bit of a shame to tear off the bits, but they were mostly attached with white glue. I'm amazed more of them haven't fallen off (only the main guns on both) by now. I'm hoping to do something just as awesome as these were but with my current skill level. I'll post some progress pics after the contest is over. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but that's why you sit down with your bits and start holding stuff together....

Comments

Popular Posts